Saturday, December 24, 2011

Rear-high mounted cycle carriers, has anyone got any helpfull advise?

I am looking to get a rear high mounted cycle carrier for my Skoda estate car. I have seen 2 that interest. The argos has a Mont Blanc universal carrier at 拢49, or Thule have one for 拢109. I would like to know if anyone knows about these or any other carriers and can you open your boot with either of these on. The Thule looks like it will enable me to open the boot, but am not sure.





Any advise will be well apreciated :)|||We have a Skoda estate and cycle carrier from Halfords. It is supposed to hold 3 bikes but feels dead dodgy with more than 2 on there. My golden rule - developed from years of experience is that if it is from Argos then it will be cut price Cr**p, that won't last. The best carriers I've seen are the ones that attach to the towing bracket. I wish we had gone for one of these even if they are a bit more expensive. To answer your question I would go for the Thule. I don't think it will allow you to open the boot with bikes attached, but as the other respondent mentioned you could give them a call before buying it.|||See whether the straps that go into the rear door have "dumbell" plastic shapes for the strap end, or whther they have some "hook" shapes.





Dumbell shapes are only trapped in the closed door, and will fall out if the door is opened.





You want the type that hook on the door, not the type that get trapped in the closed door.





Also when you're fitting the carrier, don't have the bottom bar resting on the bumper, ensure it is higher up, so that this does not prevent the door opening.





To be double sure, you can telephone each store's helpline.|||I bought one in France it hooks over top bottom and sides similiar , they are not the best fitting inthe world and need to be checked and double checked , and checked on the road . Great for motorway driving then remove the bikes at your destination . Would not recommend opening the boot but it is possible if necessary but loaded with the bike it needs care as if allowed to bang closed could smash the rear windscreen , it has never happened to me but it is a fear. Having said that I have used mine carefully for eight years with no problems . Look at tow bar mounted ones .

No comments:

Post a Comment