Saturday, December 24, 2011

Can I buy a cheap roof rack for my 1997 2 door Honda Civic HX?

Thule recommends a 400xt Aero Foot, LB 50 load bars, 259 fit kit and a short roof adapter but I only want a basic crossbar rack that will hold my surfboard securely at high speeds. Do I really need the adapter if I'm not carryign a lot of weight? Will any of the cheap racks (around $50) work on a 2 door car?|||Come on. Honda's have such thin metal on the roof It will cave in the minute you put something on it,|||Sure, there are plenty of those around. There are many offered that usually have rubber feet on the bottoms and straps with metal clamps that you can tighten. I have even used these for luggage. The price varies at each outlet. Certainly the prices a Thule, Yakima and Sportrack can run higher than what you want to spend. I have put links to them and a discount online site too. Personally, I have used a good triple folded GI blanket placed on the roof, then placed my boards face down with nose to the front on top with straps fed through the windows completely around the roof. These were strapped around the boards through the front side windows with another through the back windows. Of course the car I used didn't have a door window frame allowing me to not only get in and out of the car, but roll up the windows too that would keep the rain out up to the rubber gasket. Wish you well, catch a wave for me~~!

No comments:

Post a Comment